EU Attempts to Press on Belarusian Courts, FM

22.03.2011 11:19
Архив Редакция

Head of Information, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belarus Andrei Savinykh said on March 22 that the EU's policy of sanctions had "repeatedly proved its futility." "Furthermore, this decision (additional sanctions - Telegraf) is a blatant attempt to put pressure on the judicial system of a sovereign state," said Belarusian Foreign Ministry spokesman.

«Thus, the EU demonstrates disregard for the norms and principles of international law. Such actions discredit the EC declarations in defense of democracy and the European values,» said the press secretary of the Belarusian Foreign Ministry.

As Telegraf previously reported, March 21, the EU decided to expand the list of banned Belarusian officials «in connection with the deteriorating situation of human rights in Belarus.»

158 Belarusian officials have got under the EU visa sanctions since February 2. People, included in the list (including the President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko), are banned from entering the EU territory. In addition, economic sanctions have also been introduced in respect of 157 persons from this list — the EU has frozen all their assets and economic resources.