The Bureau of the Parliamentary Assembly of the EU "Eastern Partnership" (Euronest) decided to start its work without the participation of representatives of Belarus on January 26. According to the Polish deputy, Jacek Protasiewicz, this decision will be discussed by the Conference of heads of political groups in the European Parliament, which will make the final decision.
Jacek Protasiewicz noted that the first Euronest meeting will be held in the next two months in case of agreement between the leaders of political groups, reports IA «REGNUM-Belarus.»
In addition, Jacek Protasiewicz said that the European Parliament decided to postpone MEPs mission in Minsk for a month, which had been scheduled for January 31. MEPs intended to find out the detention conditions of protesters on December 19 in Minsk, as well as to hold meetings with their families, lawyers and human rights activists. The European Parliament is now planning to hold talks with the consular service of Belarus to organize the work of the mission after February 20.
According to Jacek Protasiewicz, members of the mission were forced to postpone their visit to Minsk under the fear of having no permission to enter Belarus. «There’s no problem to take a plane. It’s not still a solution to land in Minsk but not to cross the border,» said the Polish MP.
Jacek Protasiewicz noted that many members of the mission needed the Belarusian visa. «Perhaps, in connection with the Polish sanctions it would not be enough to show a diplomatic passport,» said the deputy.
As Telegraf previously reported, the European Parliament offered Minsk to change the traditional composition of the delegation to attend the Euronest and send a mixed delegation — five representatives from the Parliament and another five from the non-parliamentary opposition. The Parliament of Belarus didn’t agree on such conditions, insisting on equal participation in the Euronest. Other «Eastern Partnership» member-countries’ include 10 members of national parliaments in their delegations.