OSCE / ODIHR Takes Control of Trials on "Case on December 19"

09.03.2011 09:37
Архив Редакция

The first four observers from the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights are due to arrive in Belarus on March 9 to watch the trial on charges of rioting. This was stated by ODIHR Director Janez Lenarcic on March 7. They will be able to attend the trial of Dmitri Medvedev, as well as Russian citizens Ivan Gaponov and Artem Breus. 

Proceedings in respect of the latter will be resumed on March 10.

«As an OSCE member-state, Belarus pledged to allow international observers to the hearings. Viewers will appreciate the compliance of the ongoing trials with the national laws and norms of fair trial, specified in the OSCE documents and legally binding international agreements,» OSCE website quoted Janez Lenarcic.

ODIHR experts will watch the main trial on charges of rioting and publish a corresponding report according to the monitoring results.

As Telegraf previously reported, Head of Information and spokesman of the Belarusian Foreign Ministry Andrei Savinykh said on March 5 that Belarus had invited OSCE observers to attend the trial on the case of December 19. «This is a technical mission to observe the trial in terms of performance of all Belarus’s obligations in the context of the OSCE membership,» he said.